11/12/2011

all of me

an experiment with new strings, microphones and reverb effects. the new components are d'addario chromes flatwound strings 13-56 gauge, sennheiser k3u microphone unit with me-20 electret condenser capsule and kjaerhus plug-in reverb slightly tweaked from the small hall preset.

what about the results?

- i like the 'woody' and stronger sound of the more stout flatwounds despite that they make my archtop a little harder to play

- they say the sennheiser me 20 is noisy, maybe it is but i'm afraid my mic preamp is even noisier...anyway the slight attenuation of the highs (compared to my measurement condenser microphone) isn't necessarily a bad thing

- the reverb is quite natural and easygoing, but then again i have no sharp ears for analyzing different reverbs in the first place

the test piece can be heard here

all of me